Thursday, January 17, 2008

Hairdoodz

I went out drawing on Tuesday night with Manfred, Tom, Matt, Ryan, and a couple guys I hadn't met before: Tyler Kirkham, and another fella whose name escapes me. The last time we went out was sometime in mid-December so it was a lot of fun.

The first drawing was standard. I liked the guy with the big beard because of the tuft of hair poking from the back of his head.

Manfred showed us a bizarre picture of a guy with a little head in his hair. Manfred is fun to have around because he really lets his brain go into whatever weird territory it wants to, and he was excited because he and a friend had come up with a new product, Hairdoodz. My understanding was that you could put a Hairdoodz in your hair and style its hair so you had two hairdos at once, which sounded pretty cool, but I misunderstood; you're supposed to weave your hair through the Hairdoodz head so your hair become its hair.

But it was too late; I had made progress on my misconception. I tried to think of what kind of dude best represented the Hairdoodz lifestyle. After doodling the guy, I decided accessories were a must, and added my own invention, the iBoat.

The next picture started with a guy whose head was made of that weird, orange, hardened marshmallow peanut Easter egg candy stuff. The one after began as someone with so much hair that his hairdo made him look like a monkey, but it went a different direction. Thinking back to Hairdoodz, I imagined everyone would always say, "Hairdoooood!" around him. I thought this would get old fast, so I decided he hated Hairdoodz and needed a t-shirt that made this (not really) obvious. The hair-genitalia was a final touch of class. Oh, and flying hair. I love flying hair.

And finally, with all of this branding going on, Tom brought up Tacocat. He mentioned that "tacocat" was a palindrome but it didn't register consciously; when I excitedly revealed that "tacocat" was a palindrome a few seconds later, he didn't seem very impressed. I had to bust out one last lazy-drawing, so I drew up a logo for Tacocat and made stick-Tacocat, which turned out amazing. First I drew the head, and then a taco around it, and then I had Tacocat say "Fuck you," and then I decided that having no regard for composition was a good marketing hook for Tacocat, and then I signed the masterpiece as largely as I could. Exciting, huh?

14 comments:

Dillon Thompson said...

Cool stuff, “[aVa]Erlanter”. Hairdoodz and hair'peez. Taco cat is a little attention hog. Just give her a warm Q-tip to play with and she’ll be fine. I want to draw.

Tom Scholes said...

tacooooooooooooooocat

Ryan Wood said...

I like the anti-Hairdoodz dude. Yay to this post!

Alan Tew said...

Yay to my buddies for leaving comments. My heart swells.

Cal Ki said...

Excellent! Mr. 2 is back. I love how artists minds go awry when contemplating ideas to birth. That said doesn't the hairdoodz fella hate his life coz everytime he's gotta take a leak he gets his fur wet? I'm just sayin. Glad to see more posts thank you much!

Steve James said...

too good to be true- the beeba is back! great to see you posting suff again- life is good.

Alan Tew said...

cal ki: good question. I think it's just one of those bad designer things; sorta like having your bathroom parts and your sex parts in the same place.

Cal Ki said...

How awesome is this! I got a reply from the artist himself. I know I sound like a stan but i've gone through all your archives almost reliving each artistic moment from 98 to 04. Since i discovered your site a year and a half ago I had to start from the base to top to get up to date.
Coming from Kenya this isn't something I was used to so i'm very extatic in your return. All the best sir and doodle away!!!

Alan Tew said...

Will do, mate. Cheers!

-GO said...

Great to have you back man. Your ART IS AWESOME!!!

Alan Tew said...

Yarrr! Thanks and welcome aboard! Expect another update tonight or tomorrow.

derek said...

That's it! I'm coming to draw night every week now so I can do a tacocat!

Alan Tew said...

Yay!

KrisztiƔn Hallai said...

Just want to say, that you helped me alot with your tutorials. Love your work.