Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Ladies

On Tuesday we had Rachel Hunter, her lovely husband Derek Hunter, Ryan Ottley, and his lovely acquaintance, Tom Scholes. I decided I wanted to do ladies tonight and started with the little head at the top-middlish part of the page. Since we draw at a cafe, I sometimes look around to use hairstyles from the people around us, and I just filled in the outline without adding necessary shapes inside of it. The next sketch was me trying to do a sort of clean, pretty, tom-boyish, punk-type and I liked the way she turned out. I also liked the one on the right; she was kinda slumpy and when I exclaimed, "Slumpy for the win!" I caught the attention of a nice girl next to us that chatted for a bit and gave me and Rachel her card (thanks for instigating that, Ray), so that was a highlight. The last doodle on the page was the girl in the upper-left. She was looking real boyish at first, so I tried to go-with-but-save-it by froofing up her hair and hoped breasts would seal the deal.

The next page was an experiment in twisty. I like seeing how flesh and limbs can hide things and get squishy and it's fun to think about how breasts in particular get squished. I was enjoying the whole deal and got as far as the torso, arms, and hips, but Rachel needed sushi so we bailed. I finished up the drawing the next morning, and added the string and weird stuff right before scanning in the drawing just now. The little bit of text probably comes from all of the "scientific humanism" stuff I like reading about, and the sharp mouth comes from work my roommate is doing on a title font for a game we're working on. I thought it might have been too scary so I added a bow, too.

If Caroline ever reads this, I apologize for always getting silly on sake when I meet you after drawing. You should come over before-hand one of these nights and doodle with us. :-)

9 comments:

Tom Scholes said...

GOLD

Rafael Franca said...

Yay! The new draws are awesome! Nice stuff, Alan!

Dillon Thompson said...

Long live the beeba.

Roybie said...

Maybe the bow just makes it a little scarier...

Nate Bellegarde said...

Hooray squishing some boobs!

rico said...

Alan! It's been forever. I'm glad to see you still flexing your drawing muscles twisting and squishing people all around. 9 out of 10 professional artists agree, you're the greatest!

Alan Tew said...

tom, rafael, dillon, and rico: Thanks!

roybie: hmm...

nate: OMG, nate! How are ya, man? Nice to see you! :-)

Yay!

Jason Newkirk said...

awesome stuff man! Ive always been one that was waiting to see you start posting your work again. I been following along since you got back into it! Awesome stuff man. Keep posting.

Alan Tew said...

Will do!