Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Fat Diesta and the Brush Pen

The Tuesday night attendees were Tom Scholes, Jon Diesta, and Derek & Rachel Hunter. Ryan was out due to sitting duties. The night started (and ended) as all do, with a lot of random stuff. I can't really think of much noteworthy in the first page to share; I always find it interesting to draw more muscley types because it isn't really my nature. I'm certainly not a muscley type myself and I tend to enjoy more lithe forms. The gal in the upper-right was fun, but probably just because I love bare-naked ladies.

The next page was a little more interesting. I think Tom asked for another Tacocat, so I tried to oblige from the top of my head. I am truly horrible with animals. Well "truly" might not be fair; I think they look relaxed and natural enough, for the most part, but they never look like the animal I am trying to draw. An alternate universe cat, perhaps. It might be fun to grab some reference one of these days and see if I can embarrass myself without "off the top of my head" as a weak defense. There are so many things I wish I could draw better. Next up was the guy with the gloves and the flower-penis. How I survived last week without drawing a ding-dong, I will never know. Tom promised to paint the guy (before he saw the finished product), so feel free to harass him about it; I'm not sure I have the heart to. Finally, on the upper-right, I tried to do a fat version of my roommate in a muumuu. Not the most flattering or accurate rendition, so a public apology is only fair. Sorry, man.

Sometimes the comic types (Ryan and Derek) will tote along a brush pen (at least I think that's what they're called), and I will beg to futz around with it. I have nearly no experience with them, but they're always fun to play with, just because I can't make mistakes (or at least have to figure out a way to hide them), and they just make the drawings more official. Besides, I like feeling like I'm acquiring a new skill. I doodled the guy with the Wolverine-do in the upper-left, first. Then came Human Bert. I swear I have one or two more renditions of a human Bert; I have no idea why the prospect is so fascinating to me.

The next page was inspired by Rachel's striped sweater. I really like stripes, and enjoyed trying to do something female and clean while minimizing mistakes.

Non-sequitur: Feist's Brandy Alexander is playing on the iTunes, and it's blowing my mind with how beautiful it is. Her latest album, The Reminder, helped me through a broken heart. Here's a link to what looks like a (good) unofficial video.

The last page was a couple doodles I got off before we hit sushi and sake. The female figure seemed a little awkward but I went with it. I still like looking at it since it always looks intriguingly screwy to me. It's hard when you get close to a drawing to dissect things that later look ridiculously bad, and I wonder if this one fits in that category. (Don't tell me, It'll ruin the fun.)

20 comments:

Tom Scholes said...

HooooBuddy, Imma paint it. You just wait. Jusssssst wait. Maybe not the flower-penis ... or maybe?

Alan Tew said...

Bring iiit!

ornitorrincoman said...

it´s nice to see that you have a blog

Much time has past since the last time y saw some new art from you.

Good work

Ounce said...

Nice work dude. I dig how you drawed the cat and pretty much thing else you draw. Just curious but are you still interested in some tutorials? I have a few I refer to, if you want I could send you some links.

Rafael Franca said...

just awesome, dude!

Jacob said...

I can definitely tell that is a cat. The only thing that doesn't look entirely cat-like is the face. But it's still a cat. Maybe it has downs...
I kinda like what you did in ink; not something that you do often, but it's cool to see what you can do in other styles.
Cheers!

Dillon Thompson said...

Corn on the cob!

Cal Ki said...

Really great drawings again Alan. While taking art class back in Kenya, for inspirations for a final exam I zipped quick to Beeba and got a handful of your doodles to save the day.
Oh yeah before I forget I must ask, what specific parts of the human anatomy or types of creatures, beings etc give you absolute artist hell? I believe on some of your old doodles you stated a slight dislike for backgrounds. I know you being on the level that your at, the aspects of drawing that bring you plight are far more different and miniscule to mine so what you may find obtrusive may be invisible to me. But in a nutshell just give me the line up of the "buggers!!" (So to speak)

J said...

Man! I have checked your site (beeba.net) for years and years. Your art really inspired me and I am beginning a career into illustration. My english is not the best one of course, I am from Argentina!
Best wishes!

Alan Tew said...

ornitorrincoman: nice to see you. :-)

ounce: don't sweat the tutorials. I feel like right now I'm just trying to get back into the groove of things with the human figure. If/when I get comfortable I'll see where I want to push, whether it's animals, backgrounds, or whatever. Aside from doodles in my notebooks at work, I'm really only drawing at drawing nights, once a week. I feel like I draw just to exercise - to stay in stasis - almost. Sometimes in life I find a block of time in which I'm drawing, and only then do I start branching out.

rafael: thanks.

jacob: fair enough. My downs syndrome kitty cat. Ha! I like when I ink, too. It just feels a bit fresh, and it forces me to crank since I can't screw around with my pictures as much without messing them up.

dillon: yum.

cal: hmm... I feel like I'm quite bad at man-made objects and straight lines. I think you'd have a hard time getting me to do a Transformer comic and cityscapes are doable with reference but are a huge pain in the ass. The big problem is that my mind just doesn't pick up on industrial design the way it will details about arm lengths, bones, and general muscle shapes (not that I'm an expert on those, either). So basically, when I sit down to doodle a building, I just draw a blank. I can remember a box and windows. Yay. I think animals are fine; they don't freak me out much. I just need reference. There's enough crossover with people: bones, folds of flesh, hair, eyes, centers of gravity and the like. And on the human body, the only parts where I feel like I do a lot of fudging are the pelvis at really weird (usually bottom-up) angles and some of the shoulder-to-torso connections, particularly when arms are up (fudge!) or the position of shoulders and width of the chest from the side view. Oh, and how the chest connects to the neck from the side. I just don't look at that crap enough in the mirror.

j: thanks!

Janderson said...

Yes! Beeba is back!
Thanks for coming back and show your skills...on drawing. :)
I link you, if you dont mind.
Thanks again.
Jands
www.jands.biz

Scott Daly said...

hey alan. i'm glad your posting again. it has been way to long. i came across your site beeba.net 3 years ago and have been a visitor ever since. great stuff. are you still working for a video game company?

Urban Barbarian said...

I've been a long time fan Alan! Glad to find your blog - thanks to Ryan!

.M. said...

On behalf of the world's Bert lovers, I'm begging you to post those other two Human Bert sketches.

Alan Tew said...

janderson: thanks, mate. I'm happy to be back, sharing whatever the hell it is I'm sharing.

scott daly: thanks for coming back. I work for Disney Interactive now, on some new top secret project. I truly love games, but I was really missing the drawing. :-(

urban barbarian: I need to give Ryan a hug. I'm happy to see you.

.m.: were it that easy to find! I might stumble upon them when I go through rescans at some point, but until then you'll have to accept human Berts as they appear. (I'm sure there will be more.)

Mark Montague said...

Nice work man.

Mind if I link you?

Alan Tew said...

mark: a link'd be rad.

George Cwirko-Godycki said...

WOW!alan tew has returned! i used to love your website and then it never updated, i am so excited to see new drawings from you, you have the magic touch. totally awesome

capprotti said...

holy SHIT! You're back! And DAMN good to see ya. Love these sketches as usual man. It's a breath of fresh air.

Alan Tew said...

george and capprotti: thanks guys; it's nice to be back. New post tomorrow, prolly.