Thursday, February 14, 2008

Hellboytaur

Tuesday's attendees were the fabulous Mr. Diesta, the incontinent Dr. Scholes, M.D., and the affable Señor Ottley. Page one was warmup. I started trying to imagine a dog boy, and while doodling onward, Ryan told me about how he always has a hard time drawing the Silver Surfer. Naturally, this made me want to try, and for the love of god, I can't remember the weird rules of comic book reflections. (I should try again later ignoring the rules and just doing what makes sense to me.) Comics have some weird rules, like the "dark costume" black blotches most comic artists put on Spiderman's pants or on Captain America's forehead, behind the "A." By the time I got to the surfboard, I was too lazy to really mess with it.

Page two was a follow-the-nose effort. I kept mushing lines around until I ended up with that Hellboyish, centaurish thing. I don't really know what I was aiming for but didn't really like him in the end, and what could cheer me up more than a flying little girl in a leotard? Why, trying and failing to connect the two drawings with the whip of the Hellboytaur's tail (of course).

Page three was a work-related pile of poop and I can't share it without Mickey arriving (naked) from the future to destroy me.

Page four was more brush pen madness. I begged Ottley for it so I could play around s'more. It's just fun to speed up the process with it and try to figure out how to get good line quality. After doodling the head and right hand, the gal from a couple weeks ago dropped by to say hello. She said she could only draw stick figures, and I tried to explain that that's all she needs, and made up a story she could draw about the Stick Men of Earth being invaded by the Saturnese Circle People (because Saturn has lots of circles around it). The Stick Men go to the moon because its craters are pencil sharpeners, and sharpen their heads so when the circle people try to roll over them, they get popped. The only thing capable of stopping that kind of madness is a Spanish-speaking diplomat with a minor in peace and conflict studies, don't you think? Oh yeah! So I finished the drawing with a tortured stick man (it matched the right hand) and Ryan let me keep the brush pen! He is my hero.

21 comments:

Roybie said...

I really like that brush pen drawing.
Reminds me of Ron Moody as Fagin in Oliver! I am quite drawn to his hands for some reason, very nice.

Dillon Thompson said...

Yes!

Jacob said...

What kind of a brush pen is it?
Micron has a pretty sweet one. I used it today to ink some of my drawings and it was pretty ass-kick.

Tom Scholes said...

incontinent ?!

Alan Tew said...

Oh hell, you caught me.

roybie: thanks!

jacob: not sure. I'll check next time. I'm not up on my drawing supply knowledge. I use a mechanical pencil and printer paper.

Jacob said...

That's usually all I use also. I had to ink for my comics class.

Ed said...

Alan, Through mr nate I found your blog and I'm absolutely extatic that your putting art on the interwebs again! There was previously a tew shaped hole inside me.

thanks for being awesome.

Alan Tew said...

ed: thank you for letting me fill your hole. Hehe.

[.ed_] said...

YOU ARE SNEAKY WITH A NEW BLOG! thank goodness I checked beeba.net today, because now my life is better. :)

Alan Tew said...

[.ed_]: like a neenja. Hi!

Ounce said...

Alan, dude, I gotta ask before I lose my mind xD. Do you have any tips on drawing the same character twice? I know it sounds lame but I can draw a nice character but once I try and draw them again they come out looking somewhat differnt. Did/do you ever have this problem or is it just me? If you have a solution or anything please let me know. - Tim

Alan Tew said...

ounce: hmm... I don't think I have any helpful information about that and haven't really had to do it much. The only thing that crosses my mind is to make your characters distinguished enough that you have a lot of leeway to fuck up and still have it be recognizable as your guy. But this is from the guy that constantly draws sameish folk. ;-) Sorry!

Ounce said...

Hmm idk your pretty awesome in that couple comic you did =) But I'll just have to keep at it. Part of the problem for me may be that I haven't really settled down to a certain style yet. Although yours seems to have had the biggest influence on me. Back to practice =P thanks for the quick reponse.

Sam Nielson said...

I can't tell whether that guy is pulling the stick figure's arms off or if he's swinging him like we do to our two-year-old. Since he's the scariest person I've ever seen though, I'm guessing arm-pulling.

Sam Nielson said...

Oh, and don't waste your money on the Micron brush pen. It's good, but there are much better options for the same price. Faber-Castell's Pitt pens are great for line work, and Staedler-Mars Graphic 3000 is like pure love in brush pen form.

Parker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Parker said...

Wow... good to see you're still kicking! I've continued to check your site for updates periodically, the last time being a few months ago, and was happy to finally find something when I checked today! Sweet. Also, in a slightly related question, do you have a DeviantArt account at all?

-Parker
SpaceCow4.DeviantArt.com

Alan Tew said...

sam: maybe he hasn't decided yet, and the stick figure is just freakin' because he's making the same assumption you are. Remember when you assume...

This brush pen says "Staedtler," "Mars," "graphic," "3000," and "duo" on it. A cryptic message!

parker: nice to see you. :-) I don't have a deviantART page, but Ryan does. Does that mean everyone should have one?

Parker said...

Oh, haha... nah, I was just curious is all. I suppose I sort of did make it come off as if I was trying to promote it. I mean, don't get me wrong, it is a pretty sweet site that draws a lot of views and is a great place for input from other artists and such. I just more or less wanted to be able to leave a link on my page and say, "Hey, check this guy's stuff out." Though, I suppose I could really do the same thing regardless. Which I will. Haha...

And while I've still got you, are you still living in Salt Lake? And if so, which part?

Alan Tew said...

parker: I am in SLC, living downtown.

Parker said...

Ah, well cool. I'm not too far then; just up in Sugar House.