Sunday, April 6, 2008

Tiffany Epiphany

In attendance last week: Tom, Jon, Derek, Ryan, a new artist named Alyssa Bailey (thanks for coming), and nice person we met awhile ago who sometimes drops by to say "hello" and this time even drew something awesome with us, Rosylin (sp?). If I forgot someone else, sorry. So the night before drawing I had too much fun at a Vampire Weekend concert (and bar afterward), so I was extremely tired by the time drawing came around. I think when this happens, the human body gets a little taxing for me and I tend to focus more on lines and shapes and end up with cartoony-looking stuff as a result. The ghost-bot was the first doodle of the night, and kinda set the tone of things. I also had a lot of fun with the blob-like guy with the flower lines in his forehead. He was really odd-looking, and I think it appealed to Ottley's sometimes grotesque sensibilities, so he asked if he could ink it. I never got his sig, but that's his inks; always an honor.

Continuing in the spirit of strange shapes, I doodled a couple more oddities. I liked the curly hairs over the eyebrows of the bucktoothed moustachio fella. Someone asked what caused the lines to appear around his head, so I had him think about "Tiffany," and Ryan jumped in and said that that was his epiphany. Hence the wonderful title of the piece, Gerald's Epiphany. The next shape was just me scrunching in the facial features so the character was dominated by forehead and chin. I don't know what the burst is on his chin. A shine? Hair? You decide.

I think when Roz drops by my drawings get a little sillier, too. She insists that she can't draw, so I always insist that you can still tell interesting stories even with stick figures just to encourage her artistic impulse. The process amplifies my own impulse to be creative, which always ends up in a weird place (as my 5-hour comic from 24-hour comic demonstrates). This drawing was no exception. I made a big sausage shape and started adding facial features to him. When someone asked who Tiffany was, I decided he was and put the name on his shirt. He was holding a cloud and I decided a thought-bubble would be cooler, so then I added the girl character and chose the name Rachel for her. I then drew a bunch of pointy hearts over Tiffany, and later in the evening, upon counting them, realized they'd fit the name "Rachel" perfectly. Lovely.

In the end, I finally convinced Roz to put pencil to paper, and she started drawing these really cool flowy lines. I always love watching people who don't usually do art do art because their ideas aren't pushed towards any specialization they've developed as an artist. That unfettered expression is always fascinating to me, and is one of the great pleasures of art. She let the lines flow for awhile and even signed the drawing for prosperity before she took off. I greedily turned it into a collab by making her art come out of a pipe. So sez me.

9 comments:

spundman said...

I love your work.
You have much talent. A great inspiration!!!!!

Don Wilkinson said...

Alan,

You are amazing. I am also one of your faithful followers who constantly checked your website even when it wasn't being updated. Man, seriously, you are freaking hilarious and your knowledge of twisting/pressing/changing forms is out of this world, watching your video made me even more jealous because you make it look so god damn easy to throw those beautiful lines you draw out onto the page in front of you. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say, thank you for sharing. I also love that in the video you used some paper in a clipboard and a pencil which helps people see that even with simple inexpensive tools, you can create amazing art and it's all about the creative driving force behind them. It makes your talent so much more real for the public to see, you are the real deal, you actually draw these ridiculously crazy-distorted figures and they manifest comically on the page in a completely wicked way that just makes me laugh. Thank you Alan.

Alan Tew said...

Thanks fellas. Don, that was a whole lotta nice things you said, and I appreciate it.

j_ay said...

Your blog is a real treat, thanks for not just sharing the wonderful images but also giving a behind the scenes to them.
You’re fantastically generous, to us, your virtual audience, and clearly to those who are privileged enough to sit next to you.

Alan Tew said...

Thanks man. I appreciate the comment.

Delidel said...

it looks like she drew a butthole with some pubic hair right above it. just a pseudo-freudian observation.

Alan Tew said...

Hmmm... zat's vot you saw? How eeeeenterestink! *scribble*

Delidel said...

I couldn't resist coloring that little freaky guy.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Dulit1980/Speculation/photo#5189630232961831202

Rory said...

Your 5 hour comic was awesome!