Monday, October 6, 2008

I Hate Unicorns.

My apologies for less-frequent updates. Life has been busier with an awesome new someone in my life, so my previous "update night" has been steamrolled somewhat. But "draw night" is still in full swing, so no complaining.

The first drawing is from a couple weeks ago, and I've been cramming more figures onto a single page, so it ends up feeling like less art. Well, that, and there probably is less art. But I wanted to focus a bit more on the female form this go 'round. The spread pose in the upper-right might seem like much, but I avoid positions like it too often, so I just went for it. Someone at the table was reading some artist's sketchbook and pointed to a very curved leg in standing position they liked, so I did one of my own (connected to the disconnected male head), and the girl with the bunny-hop hands needed a hat, so I asked Tom to for an environment-hat, and he obliged (thank you, Tom). I added the clouds around it.

Next up from that night was some inks by Ryan Ottley on a drawing from the week prior. I of course love it when he or any other drawing pal decides to ink some of my pencils. It's really neat to see the way they interpret the lines. And the drawing was so weird to begin with that it doubled my pleasure. DOUBLED!




I was more prolific last week, with poop if not quality. I just started with a bunch of little sketchy figures while I caught up with folks. My favorite drawing was the guy that fell asleep waiting for me to draw him. And my least favorite is the unicorn, because I hate unicorns. A lot.

Next up was this twisted figure. If I remember correctly it originated as a pose from Ottley. I asked him to give me an "Alan Tew" pose, and he came up with something pretty twisted. When I tried to shape it into a "real" form best-I-could, I gave him a questionably turned leg. I can stand up and make my leg swing that way, but it looks pretty wonky with the rest of the body so straight. But I decided to leave it and post it for all to see. Silly me.

I really enjoyed the drawings on this page. They were a lot more flowy. I started with the cartoon head with the Rachel Summers Phoneix-scars on its face. Next was the weird little fella with the half-tendon face, probably drawn while we were talking about Bodyworlds (in town at the moment) at the table. Then came the bald fella, who had a fun, angular look, and lastly the long-fingered gal on the left.

And last up was this strange fellow. I drew him right before we bailed for food. Not too many lines, a lot of flowing, and a bit of a weird look. Not sure what else to say.

3 comments:

Ounce said...

Nice <=?} I love the angular dude especially where his back meets his hips. The questionable turned leg guy is cool too although my Alan Tew folder has reached it's max wang capacity. lol. No, I'm BSing this post has quite a few nice editions to my Tew collection.
Keep up the awesome work, your art seriously inspires me. And congratz on the new someone.

Delidel said...

you draw very detailed lady-bushes. nice.

k.r.bassitt said...

pleasure seeing your work again Alan... don't know if you remember me... but I'm the one guy that liked your designs so much I went on a hunt for "Barbarians" LOL