Sunday, November 9, 2008

eat!

Sorry again for the slow updates. I was in Florida for a week, went to an election party, work has been a bit more stressful lately, and I'm enjoying the submission of my spare time to a lovely lady that makes me very happy. So let's start with Florida. For the trip, I was asked to do piece of art that described how I got into my particular creative field (of game design). I decided to tackle the project on the plane trip down, and was pleasantly surprised by how little turbulence there was. I started with a page of warm-up drawing. The thumbnails in the upper-left hand corner were me playing with ideas for the project.

For the project I decided to focus on a moment in my life when I was pinned down and forced to eat a grasshopper before I could go home. Yes, this happened. I grew up haole in Hawaii, and at some point the local kids I grew up with learned their prejudices and this sort of thing was becoming the norm. But it was a formative moment, where I remember deciding it was a good idea to learn how to have fun indoors. Hence drawing, playing video games, and doing a plethora of other nerdy things that helped me become the *cough* man I am today. A friend had some pens across the isle from me on the plane, so I was even able to ink it. Hooray!

The Tuesday after I got back was drawing night, but I almost didn't go because I came down with an awful cold. I decided I should at least say hello to the folk that were there, and when I showed up, I ended up sticking around for some reason. This was my hazy warm-up page. I remember very little about it.

I had showed up for drawing late, though, and we went off to a pizza parlour for dinner. Not being to into the social aspects of the evening in my condition, I just kept doodling. I started doing a cartoonish face, but was too tired to come up with details, so I scanned the tables around us and started doodling the hairstyle, jewelry, and clothes from a girl at a nearby table that looked like she was on a first date. After finishing her, I felt like drawing a hag. I guess I just like doodling hags around Halloween.

But I think my mind started wasting away and insanity set in. This last drawing started with the giant gnome thing, or whatever the hell it is. I then drew some figures to distract me from the gnome, who kind of freaked me out. The next most obvious thing to draw was Pac Man for some reason, and I drew a trail of pac pellets (what are they called?) pushing right into the gnome's stomach. Really, the only sane thing that could be added was "HOLY FUCKING SHIT."

15 comments:

Ounce said...

Lol, holy fucking shit is correct gnome giant....>')==

Btw, I'm curious what exactly is it that you do for a living? Are doing character designs or like 3d modeling ?

IhateDesign said...

great drawings man!

and dont use bad words, my mom dont have see your blog because of that ;)

Jon Diesta said...

Man... how do you keep up with your brain? Haha... and great stories man. I can't think of a better way to start drawing.

Kiel said...

oh my god, the "holy fucking shit" gnome cracked me up! I grew up haole in hawaii too, but nothing quite like eating a grasshopper ever happened to me, maybe I was just young and ignorant of people teasing me or something.

Paul said...

"Power Pellets", dude, they were called power pellets. I always look forward to your updates BTW... keeps me on task with my own doodling and drawing.

Mazlow said...

Eh, Alan. Just wanted to say hello. I remember back in 2002 I came across your website. Inspired me to become a better artist. Still working diligently at it. Many thanks and keep up the blooog.

Cheers

arnie said...

hey alan, thanks for sharing these. i've dropping by from time to time. you sketchs have helped me break down my own compositions. just wanted to let you know that.

peace out

Martim said...

Hey Alan, I just finished watching your video tutorial. I really like that and it helped me a lot. When can we expect another one?

Crips Pink said...

Great to find yer blog!! I've loved your stuff for like EVER!

frida said...

I really like your style!

dave said...

UPDATE YOUR BLOG!

Alan Tew said...

Ya srsly wtf. Incoming, I promise.

mOm said...

Alan Tew updates his blog more frequently than he communicates with his parents. Which means we haven't had any contact with what is going on in his life since... November 9th?

--happy Mardi Gras, y'all :)

Delidel said...

I don't know what WET N ALAN TEW means, but it's a palindrome, and the point of this comment is to bump the comment count to 14, since 13 is apparently bad luck. I really have nothing to say besides your fans are waiting Alan!! and sanoodle.blogspot.com

Alan Tew said...

My mOm wrote on my blog! Awesome. This demands an update...