Saturday, June 26, 2010

Magic is Stupid

I've been reading a lot of Drizzt books lately, trying to connect to some of my junior high reading to see if it's still as much fun as I remember it. For the most part, it's been a nice return visit, but at 14 books in, it's managed to burrow far enough into my consciousness to appear on the page a bit. I have no idea what kind of costume elements the characters wear, really, or how to draw any of it, but oh well.

I'm continuously haunted, lately by a reminder someone left me to draw more women, and if I remember correctly, this was one of those intentional endeavors. Believe it or not, I always feel a little self-conscious putting any detail into the most naughty of ladies' naughty bits, even when it's just a line. Weird.

As per the comments from my last post, I knew that I needed to do something more enlightening, and this post was the result. Juuust kidding. Honestly, I was just happy to see a return to commentary and humor, as with the return of the "crowd o' figures"-style pages, just because I miss it from the old blog. That's my kind of enlightenment. In general, I have a lot of disdain for woo-woo, and perhaps that eeks through a little with the bean magician. Beans!

There's a gap in my drawing of about two weeks for some reason or another (part of it was a trip to Portland; a city that has my approval (Hi Emi!)), but this past week produced a crowd o' figures that made me happy. Perhaps my personal fav is the guy in the lower-right, with his shoulders on the ground, but the attempt at an upside-down twisty-dude mid-left keeps catching my attention because it looks a bit off even though I was fairly happy with the result as it was doodled. Shrug.

And wrapping things up was a quickie I did when I ran out of page space, while we were inhaling sushi and tonkatsu. Yummy.

8 comments:

Tom Scholes said...

hi, this photo is from me to you. Tiffany got it for me.
Penis cupcake !

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/4707/photohl.jpg

Also, you should try drawing really fat people more !!!

Alan Tew said...

Holy hell. That rules. Thanks for the comment. I feel lonely.

Mubuk said...

Nice stuff. Love seeing your sketches. The poses and angles on your figures are great. <3
As for the being self conscious part. My thought on it always has been, you don't have to do every line if you don't want. lol

Alan Tew said...

Thanks man. :)

Mike Terry said...

Loved your stuff since I first saw it a while ago, before you made this blog. Your figures are always magnificent!

Edward said...

can u make more tutorials? i would love to watch...

Alan Tew said...

I really should. This blog needs some love, too. Get some scans in and update. The biggest thing with the tutorials is finding a way to edit it together. Mr. Gracious Tom Scholes helped film the last one at work, and I'm a lot more alone now.

Tyson Murphy said...

great stuff as always!!