Sunday, December 12, 2010

Bizarre-O

I forgot my clipboard and pencil at drawing this past week. I'm really particular about the pencil I use, which I think is the same one I've used for the past 10 years or so... some generic Pentel with a really big eraser. Ryan Ottley hooked me up with a different pencil but the lead was a bit dark and I felt like it threw my drawing all over the place, although the difference may not be very visible to you. Anyway, the first page was me getting used to pencils until Tim hooked me up with a lead that felt a bit more normal (I usually just use HB), and so I was happy. Out of the doodles, I enjoy the fella that looked a bit like Lion-O. I forgot how buff that cat is, since he always looked like such a doof.

Then, before we took off for eats, I just played around with what started otu as a profile. I imagined some kind of crab-like shape for a mohawk, and decided to make it fingers. That's it!

6 comments:

connoson said...

Hey man, finally finished reading your whole blog. You and ryan ottley kick ass! Wish I was friends with you guys so I could have a draw night haha. And after watching your tutorial, I starting drawing exactly like alan tew! lol, great work man, will visit this site every day for new doodles. Later!

Edward said...

come on... gimme more tutorials!

Joshua said...

Alan, I'm loving the regular updates! Totally know what you mean about the whole personal pencil thing. I have a fav pencil from my freshman year at school! Request: can you post some pics of "Draw Night"? It would be awesome to see some of the faces from my favorite blogs all together in one place =)
-Cheers

Alan Tew said...

@connoson wow, the whole thing?? Draw night is a good time. And...

@Edward I'm glad the tutorials are popular. I'd love to just whip them out but there are some technical considerations. The last one was patiently filmed by Tom Scholes, and I have access to neither the fancy video camera nor the helper. I'm working on a solution. Maybe my flip could work, or I'm about to grab a new laptop, and might be able to get some webcam setup to record draw night sessions. We'll see how it goes.

@Joshua thanks. Ah, actually I might have a video of a draw night from when I was testing my Flip, or from when we were setting up our gallery. Yeah, here ya go: testing the Mino a year ago, and setting up our gallery

Joshua said...

That's awesome! thanks for the links. When I heard about the Draw Night gallery, it made me wish I lived in the area...

JOZE said...

yeah..cool...maybe one day i can be as good as you? drawing human is my biggest weakness...