Sunday, January 9, 2011

200

I just noticed I'm a hundred followers shy of standing against the Persian armies. Very exciting, and much thanks to everyone who has followed me for all these years. I think I posted my first sketch blog in... checks his hard drive... 1996... yikes. Anyway, it's been really fun to post drawings and meet people, and I appreciate everyone's part in helping me achieve this happy little milestone.

So drawings, right? The holidays have been a predictable mixture of stress and sickness (might they go together?) that have made draw nights irregular, but I plan to visit this upcoming Tue to get 2011 moving along as it should. My doodles doodles pick up a few days before all-powerful Christmas, with some typical fair. It's always typical fair, but this time with a bit of interaction of the hugging variety. Awww, hugging. Little fella may be insecure, and his lady-friend tolerant enough... for now.

The last doodles of 2010 come from New Years Eve, celebrated with Jen's dad and step mom in Park City. After a bit of yummy dinner and drinks everyone got inside to get toasty and warm and rest away some holiday bloat (and jet lag). I thought doodling would be a nice way to pass the time, and this was the result. The 31st of December is also a very special birthday time, which I apparently saw fit to commemorate with a hairy, action-packed version of the Thinker... I guess.

I hope everyone is still kicking after 2010 and has much more kicking in store in 2011. Cheers!

15 comments:

Grimaldo said...

I remember when I stumbled upon your old website. I don't remember how old I was though, but you're one of my main inspirations. (sappy, I know).

Alan Tew said...

That always makes my day a bit brighter. Thanks Grim.

arnie said...

Alan thanks for coming back. i enjoy learning from all the tips and tricks you shared.

peace out

Freckles said...

Happy new year! Great sketches.

erik said...

Just joined the ranks of followers, Alan. Keep being amazing and inspiring slackers like myself to keep drawing.

Alan Tew said...

@arnie @freckles @erik thanks guys. i'm actually a couple draw nights out thanks to sickness and tiredness, but i'll be there next Tue fer sure

Edward said...

you know... i can only draw while refering to your drawings... how do i fix that?

Alan Tew said...

@edward the only "fix" to any drawing problem i've found is knowing what you want and keep drawing. I think of drawings as number tickets: you might be on drawing #68 and know you have a something more in you. The way to find it is keep doodling. Drawing #73 may not be satisfying for reason x. So might 74-162. The way to fix the situation is not to stop drawing tickets or take a break, but to draw your way through all the crummy drawings. Embrace and love the bad stuff; they're important steps to the awesome drawing that is #163.

Diego Freyre said...

haha NICE. Happy year Alan

JOZE said...

thx for the advice man... appreciate that..


http://jozeorg.blogspot.com/

Serge Fiedos said...

Hi Alan !
I discovered your work in year 2001.
At this time i was working in video games on boring Formula one games, and had to consider becoming an illustrator instead of a 3D graphic artist.
So i wanted to say too you that seeing your work and following it was very important. I learned that sketches were the most important part of the process, and i spent a lot of time drawing outside in some parks with friends.
Your sketches gave me the energy.

Today, Still my favorite sketches blog so far.

Alan Tew said...

@serge Wow, what an awesome comment! Thanks, I'm way happy to have visitors like yourself.

Mark Montague said...

Cool sketches.

Steven Corey Egbert said...

I love your blog! your sketches inspire me to improve. i can't wait for another post!

Odland's Odd Land said...

Alan COME to draw night. We haven't seen ya in a bit. Just saying, What up.