Saturday, September 24, 2011

Fan Gnome

This past draw night was particularly fun because a close non-artist friend of mine brought his 10 year-old aspiring artist son to join us. It's always fun having fresh blood, though I obviously worry that customary adult language around our table can get too lax. He was drawing dragons and such, and telling me about a game he likes called Realm of the Mad God (noted for perusal later). To inspire him to do more doodling, I asked if he would draw a character that I could then interpret. His doodle was a gnome-like stick figure with a beard and a curly hat and a massive sword and shield, the former of which had a happy face scrawled on it. Awesome doodle.

After that it was just a bit more light sketching, and I decided to do a little more "no-erase drawing," which is in the lower-left corner. I typically don't erase much to begin with, so a lot of drawings might technically be "no-erase drawings" without knowing so. Regardless, I find it interesting that when I approach drawing with this "no-erase" in mind, that my lines really thin out.

3 comments:

Jacob, aka IAmWickedStupid said...

"Realm of the Mad God" made me think of The Elder Scrolls. Do you know if there's any connection? Looks like a web-based game... campus internet wouldn't load it, but it looks like it could be a fan-made game or something.

Alan Tew said...

Not sure on the connection, and I still haven't checked out the game myself!

Jacob, aka IAmWickedStupid said...

It's oddly addictive. It has the appearance of an 8-bit game... it's not the best game... but I can't stop playing it. And there doesn't seem to be any Elder Scrolls connection.