Monday, September 19, 2011

No Touching!

More random bedtime doodles. It looks like I was trying to practice some punching there, towards the bottom of the page. I've been reading a lot of comics since sharing an office with Ottley, and I notice a lot of my favorite artists are much better at presenting me with "iconic poses" than "snapshot of real action." I still wish I was better at it myself.

I'm pretty sure this one was a work doodle -- scribbles while I think about mind-numbing code.

This last one was from draw night. I asked Ottley for a rough pose that I could fill in assuming he would give me some iconic action, but instead I think he was trying to "out-Alan" me and gave me a really weird figure. He looked sorry after he roughed it in and offered something more "Ottley," but it looked like a challenge to fill in, so I went forward with it.

5 comments:

arnie said...

iconic or snapshot, what to do? when i look at these Alan i can tell you have a good grasp on motion/snapshot. but to understand the "why" iconic poses are used is a study i did with a lot of "old schoolers". guys that could be my grandpa. and what i discovered, "iconic poses" are nothing more than poses the artists used over and over and over again, to churn out commercial art. poses they could do in their sleep. poses that would take a minute or less, to draw for a fan.

in other words they were snapshots at one time, that was passed down to the new artist by being told, "hey that's wrong. do it like so an so." over the years the poses were used, or became house styles, they are now referred to as iconic poses.

my point? chose the snapshots you like the most, and i'm willing to bet with enough time, they to could be called iconic. i like the way you draw Alan, time to make some new icons.

peace out

Alan Tew said...

perhaps. yet a lot of those "iconic" (maybe that's the wrong word) action shots are still recognizable in silhouette, and i think they really do evoke something in me. perhaps i'm just as conditioned to them, but i really love drawing over a superhero ottley pose. it definitely conveys something strongly.

arnie said...

please don't misinterpret my intent. if anything i'm misreading what you meant. in no way do i mean they should be done away with. they do evoke a specific reaction from us, and their use to convey a message or add emphasis to the characters intent, has been tried and true. but you are correct on both counts, they do pull on something inside us, and we are conditioned to them.

as far Alan Tew goes, i enjoy how you challenge action and push the boundaries. and the idea of you using "iconic" poses is very exciting. from my own experience i was always told, don't just copy action, learn how the human body moves, and understand "why" the poses are used. simply put, learn the rules before you bend them.

looking at your work, you have a wonderful grasp of the rules. in your sketches you stretch them to their limits. so you using "iconic" poses, only brings a freshness to them.

that's what i was aiming for.

peace out

Alan Tew said...

Nice comment. Thanks arnie :-)

Jose Rivolta said...

Hola, hemos agregado un trackback (enlace hacia este artículo) en el nuestro ya que nos pareció muy interesante la información detallada pero no quisimos copiarla, sino que nuestros lectores vengan directamente a la fuente. Gracias... datacredito medellin