Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Nausicaa Fan

I recently brought Nausicaa to work for Ryan to read and it's reminded me of how much I love it. It really is one of the best comic series I've ever read, and expands hugely on the content of the movie. The art and story -- by Miyazaki himself -- are absolutely breathtaking and the world it explores is mind-bogglingly cool. While my Nausicaa bug was still buzzing, I thought it would be fun to do some fan art at this past draw night. The end result is a bit hard to dissect without some visual aids, so I decided to employ some grays to lend a helping hand; after scanning in the drawing, I went to work.

And this is the result -- a quick-and-dirty job with a bit of subtle lighting thrown onto the various layers. Her sandwich received a bit of color and focus because I worried it would be hard to spot. I tried to get as much of her equipment as "correct" as possible, but I noticed her plane had a few details missing when I was perusing the manga later. Other weird errors include a lack of dark-patches on the tips of the critter's ears, and getting the date wrong... I meant for it to read 11-1-11. The biggest issue I have, however, is her squirrel-fox (or whatever) not being that clearly in the foreground -- it might look like a human-sized rodent sitting on the tree.

After coloring the sandwich, I was curious what the two main character focuses would look like with similar, simple treatment, and gave it a whirl. Fun.

5 comments:

CalKi said...

Amazing Alan, simply amazing. You're a fucking surgeon with the pencil. I'm gonna have to beg you to commission some art on my behalf. :)

Darnel said...

Funny coincidence is that I just finished reading the whole series today. Nice work.

nullunit said...

Nausicaa is a great character. Miyazaki managed to get a an awesome balance of compassion and competence that usually isn't done; especially in lady characters. Warriors of the Wind had kind of put me off but the comic got me to understand why Miyazaki was so highly regarded. The new issue of the animation is pretty great, even the dub is well done.

Kristopher Lohman said...

Really like this...to help with the depth issue you may want to vary the line weight a little more to make the "squirrel-fox" pop a little more. Regardless, it's awesome!

Amin said...

good works ! j'adore