Saturday, November 3, 2012

24-Hour Comic: The End (Colored)


I decided to color my comic and below are the results. Warning: it still contains male nudity, graphic violence, and adult themes. After trying but never getting comfortable with inks, Ryan Ottley suggested I try something like Didier Cassegrain, who we think doesn't ink but embellishes his pencils with a more "painterly" coloring style. I tried to come up with a painting "technique" to make the painting quick but never mastered it and may have just confused myself. Coloring's never been my forte -- I chock this up to an interesting experiment.

Thanks to my pals for being so supportive since without their encouragement I doubt I would have finished. Derek Hunter and others pointed out that the lettering had problems but I never got specifics that I could fix. An extra big, extra special thanks goes out to Ryan Ottley for especially supportive and encouraging, and for going out of his way to toss it up to Image Comics as a pitch for a "one shot" comic. They gave it a "pass" sans feedback -- but other friends of Ottley's mentioned reservations about "penises" and it being "weird". The response disappointed me but to be fair, I never wrote or drew it with an audience other than myself in mind and I wouldn't have colored it if my only satisfaction would come from it being published. My lack of other plans for it is case in point. But I dunno... What's your opinion?













7 comments:

Grimaldo said...

That is some fine coloring you got there. It works very well with your drawing. About the nudity: I never saw it as something weird when it came to your works, I see it as a male artist who has so much confidence that he can draw a male nude and not be questioned by it, and that makes you an awesome artist.

nick said...

This is awesome alan you did great job here. as for the nudity did not bother me at all. I remember watching watchmen with people in the theater complaining about Doctor Manhattan being nude ,but when the woman was naked not a peep. So i don't do the double standard thing. if a woman can be fully nude so can a man. Keep up the awesome stuff and post more please also if you have done any published work let me know so i can support you.

Tracy said...

Awesome! I also find the double standard concerning male nudity offputting. I've begun drawing all of my male figures with two penises just to stick it to the naysayers.

Alan Tew said...

Thanks guys, the comments are much appreciated. The disconnect between creating art and reacting to it is interesting to me. Just like drawing violence and others' reaction to said drawing can be starkly different emotional experiences.

Mia Desu said...

That was incredibly awesome! Your anatomy is always so amazing, I'd actually be really pissed if you covered it all up with annoying clothing! Haha! Really amazing job, Alan! Did I completely understand the comic? Nah. But did I enjoy the HELL out of it? 100%. Keep up the awesome work!

arnie said...

Yahoo! you posteded it.

Paz said...

Loved it. The sense of motion, the speed.
Nudity was refreshing, as others have said.